Monday, March 16, 2015

Around the World in a Carry-On Bag: Everything Else

We have finally made it to the end of the packing series! And, we're wrapping up with all those things that don't fit neatly into another category. If you've stuck around for the whole thing, pat yourself on the back. I truly appreciate you following our journey. If you're just seeing this for the first time and want to earn a pat on the back for yourself, go back and check out the other eight posts in the series here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here, or just scroll down until you see them all. When you put them all together, you get the image at the bottom of this post: A girl ready to go anywhere in the world, for any length of time, in any season. 

Left to Right:

Sunglasses--Very necessary piece of equipment, whether traveling around the world or five miles down the road. These are similar to my sunglasses but not them exactly. I couldn't find a link, but I bought mine at the ski shop at the base of the mountain in Red River last Spring Break, if you want to pick up a pair.

Scotch Brite Lint Lifters--I really didn't want to bring along a lint roller, but I really dislike linty clothes. So, I was thrilled when I came across these little lint lifters in Walmart one day. They take up virtually no space in the bag and there are 30 in the package, so they ought to last a while, since I only have a couple of items that are prone to attracting lint.

Vapur Element Water Bottle--This is truly a go-anywhere type of water bottle. It's simple to fill and easy to fold up when not in use. The clip allows it to be attached to bags or belt loops or hooked over a finger, for easy transport. It can be washed in a dishwasher or by hand, and, as far as I can tell, it doesn't leak at all, when the lid is closed all the way. Mine has also been dropped several times and seems to be very durable. (Plus, it's cute!)

Cocoon Silk Travel Sheet--We wanted to make sure we were prepared for any almost any sleeping situation that might come up on this trip. This is basically a silk sleeping bag, which can be used on its own or in conjunction with other bedding. The silk helps to keep the body cool when the temperature is warm and warm when the temperature is cool. And, when it's folded up, it fits inside one of my shoes, with plenty of room to spare.

Turkish Towel--This is a multi-tasker. It can be used as a bath towel, beach towel, shawl, swimsuit coverup, light blanket, head covering, scarf, etc. Plus, it dries quickly and looks cuter than a pack towel.

Samsung Earbuds--So the world can't hear me (and whatever I'm listening to), and I can't hear it. I like these because they go inside my ears comfortably and have their own volume control.

FitBit Charge--I probably should have included this on the post about electronics. But, I didn't. This is such a fun and motivating device. I love that I can see the time and date, how many steps I've taken, how far I've traveled, how many flights of stairs I've taken, and how many calories I've burned during the day, with just a glance at my wrist. I can also log in to my online account and see all kinds of other interesting stats and charts (like how much sleep I got last night), track my food and water intake, set new goals and be encouraged in my fitness pursuits by "winning" little badges. When my parents gave this to me for Christmas, my mom said she thought it would be fun to make a note of how many steps I took in each country. I can't wait to do just that!

Mini Flashlight--Practical in so many ways. And entertaining to a small child, if I become desperate.

Rick Steves Clothesline--While minimalistic packing means that we have less laundry to do, it doesn't mean we have no laundry. This rubber line is easy to tie to furniture or hang from hooks, and it is quite stretchy, so it can cover more distance, if need be. Clothes can be laid over it or poked through the braiding, eliminating the need for clothespins.

Fisher Stowaway Space Pen--This pen is tiny but can write almost anywhere on almost anything. It can write upside down, under water, in extreme heat and cold. And, the ink supposedly doesn't dry out for over 100 years, so maybe my great-grandkids can take it with them on a similar RTW adventure.

Lewis and Clark Money Belt--I'm not terribly excited about this piece of equipment, but it seems like it might be a good idea in certain situations. It has plenty of space for money, a passport and other important things, which I may need to keep on my person and out of sight.

Five Dice--Every member of the family carries a game (or several, depending on their penchant for game playing). This is mine. Five dice take up very little space in a bag, but are useful for many games.

Travel Tissues (not pictured)--I carry these in my purse, even when I'm not traveling, but they seem especially useful for international travel.

Orbit Gum (not pictured)--Gum is always a good travel companion, especially when you're flying and need a way to pop your ears as the pressure changes.

Have bag, will travel.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you need to say