Thursday, August 14, 2008

One for the books

Jeff and I thought it would be a good idea to have Ruth start memorizing the books of the Bible, so after lunch today I picked up the whiteboard marker and prepared to make a list. To our complete surprise, Ruth was able to name the first 14 books for me without any assistence. We haven't really worked on this with her before, so we asked how she knew the books and the order. She shrugged her shoulders and very flippantly responded, "Well, I read the table of contents in my Bible." By the end of the day, she could say the first 22 books without looking. (She may or may not have even done better than Jeff and I).

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:23 AM

    What a blessing to have a kid who loves to learn. I'm going to start praying that for my kids.

    On a different note...Think about observing something for me. I'm curious if this whole late night culture in Brazil is exclusive to the middle/upper class. I say this because without air conditioning, all the windows in the apartment were open and the deafening noise of traffic always started at about 5:00 am, when the buses started running. Perhaps an indulgence of the "rich"? Dunno. Let me know!
    -Lori P

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as I can tell, the traffic NEVER stops. There are definitely people up and about early in the day, but the majority seem to start a bit later. I will try to observe more closely what's going on and let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:15 AM

    Ruth never ceases to amaze me with her brightness, desire to learn and ability to remember! I hope her enthusiasm for learning never ends and I believe you and Jeff are the best vehicle to make that happen. This is a story for the books though--most kids NEVER look at a table of contents unless required by the teacher! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete

Say what you need to say