Sunday, August 26, 2007

This Is Important:

I DIDN'T CRY FIRST!!!

A subtle sadness settled over the adults in our house this evening, in anticipation of our big day tomorrow. I refused to talk about it and tried to drown myself in other activities. I really wanted to cry, but I kept myself under control. But when Jeff was tucking Ruth into bed, she admitted to him that she was feeling kind of nervous and scared about her first day, and Jeff admitted he was feeling the same way. And then he lost it. I'm not really trying to expose Jeff or his emotions, but I can't tell you how much comfort I took in the fact that this is an emotional time for even the most unemotional among us. We just can't believe our little girl, our not-so-long-ago-baby, is so big now. We are truly and completely excited for Ruth. That isn't where the sadness comes from at all. It's just the first time we've really had to let go, and it's hard. --Well, great, now I am crying!-- If we can all just make it through tomorrow, I think we'll be o.k. And I think it will be a wonderful year of growth for all of us.

2 comments:

  1. I'm surprised at how sad I am too! I didn't think it would bother me much since D is going to the same place as preschool but oh well. Ruth will do fantastic! But it is hard. Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw- I hope her day is wonderful. We haven't had any crying around here yet...

    ReplyDelete

Say what you need to say