Monday, August 27, 2007

First Day Of School




Well, we made it through the first day, and it should be downhill from here. The only crying came from Weston, and I'd love to tell you some sappy little story about how he was crying because he was going to miss his sister, but it wouldn't really be true. He was still sleeping very soundly when it was time to take Ruth to school, so I just scooped him up out of bed and popped him in the car with a cup of juice. This pacified the dazed little boy until we got to the school building, but that's when the juice ran out. In it's stead, Ruth gave him her backpack to carry, which thrilled him. ("Backpack" is his new favorite word). But when we got to the classroom and he had to hand over the backpack, he went into meltdown mode. So, that's what all the crying was about. Jeff and I both made it through the morning without shedding a single tear, and Ruth gave us each a quick hug and then never looked back. She had many things to report at the end of the day:


  • Her favorite thing of the day was running around outside on the track, even though it was hot.
  • Her new best friend is Brodie.
  • She got to sit by a little boy she already knew from preschool (both in class and at lunch).
  • One little boy named Bennet was very "distracting."
  • The teacher rubbed her back for a while during naptime, and she actually fell asleep.
  • They did counting, and she didn't like that part at all. Why? Because she already knows how to do that.
  • Etc., etc.

I'm so glad everything went well today and that we don't have to have another first day again this year!

3 comments:

  1. what a fun time! I have made an artful lunch for Emlyn and now we have 30 minutes to kill before leaving. Actually I think that 30 minutes will go very quickly. No one is up yet except me. Maybe I shouldn't be typing here. Maybe I should get moving. La la la...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Artful lunch" sounds impressive. I just popped a Lunchable and a Jello cup in Ruth's lunchbox today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great! I'm glad she had a good day - in spite of Bennett.

    ReplyDelete

Say what you need to say