Thursday, October 26, 2006

The Haircut That Wasn't Meant To Be

This afternoon, I decided it was a good time to take Weston to get his first haricut. I know of a couple of children's salons not far from my house, so I loaded up the kids after their naps and headed over to one of them, hoping they would take a walk-in. They take walk-ins generally, but today they were swamped and just couldn't do it. So I headed over to the other one, where I found out about a very stupid rule that annoyed me so much that I just left. According to the people there, they are not allowed to cut a child's hair if they aren't wearing socks and/or shoes. (But anyone in the salon, including a young customer, is allowed to wear just flip-flops--which offer about as much protection as barefeet, in my opinion). Weston, of course, wasn't wearing either of these things since it was a very warm day and I never put those things on him if it's warm, seeing as how he can't walk, and I just end up chasing shoes all over the place because they don't stay on his feet when he's crawling around. We're talking about a haircut that was going to last no more than 5 minutes! The lady was happy to wait for me, though, if I wanted to go next door and buy a pair of socks. I'm usually not bothered too much by things like this, but today it just really annoyed me. I felt like the dad in "Father of the Bride" when he's going through the grocercy store claiming there's a conspiracy between the hotdog makers and the bun makers because they sell a package of 8 hotdogs and only 6 buns. I declined the haircut there and drove straight over to the lady who cuts my hair (who I absolutely love) and asked her if she could just snip Weston's hair while he sat on my lap. She said she would be happy to, but she was just starting a dye job and it was going to take a while. I knew Weston's (and Ruth's) happy face wouldn't last that long, so we decided to skip it for today. Some things just aren't mean to be, I guess. I am hoping to get his hair cut sometime soon though, so he isn't mistaken for a girl again.

2 comments:

  1. UGH! What a day--hope Friday goes better for you. And I don't think Weston looks like a girl--he's a handsome boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how lame! like he's magically gonna start walking all over the shop and stepping on everyone's hair when he's strapped into a stroller.

    ReplyDelete

Say what you need to say