Friday, May 17, 2013

Maldives Dreaming

Back in January or February, Jeff and I booked an early anniversary get-away to the Maldives. Our plan was to stay in a water bungalow and go scuba diving and enjoy each other's company and soak up some sun and silence on the private island on which our resort was situated. But, as the countdown to the trip began and we thought about leaving the children for so long and going so far away, we began to get cold feet, and we cancelled the trip. And, filling in the gaps, as life does, work stuff came up for both of us for this week, and that seemed to confirm that we had made a good choice to stay around here. I haven't really regretted our decision to cancel the trip (except for the lost motivation to work out). But, today was a day full of regular life--sickness, crying, spills, broken objects, work, feelings of inadequacy, potty training, messes, technical difficulties, et cetera, et cetera--and a glance at the calendar told me it was a day when I could have been dipping my toes in the clear blue water of the Indian Ocean without any little people around to detract from the solitude. I will admit to feeling sadness and regret at the realization. I really do know it was for the best that we changed our plans, but just for tonight I will dream that I am sitting on this deck, sipping on a fruity little drink, with no house to clean or laundry to do or McDonald's for dinner or countless interrupted conversations. And, perhaps one of these days, the dream will become reality.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you need to say