Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Small Town Living

Though I initially offered some resistance to moving to a small town, I have grown to love it very much. I frequently run in to friends and acquaintances when I'm out and about, and no one is too busy to stop and chat a while. In fact, even complete strangers seem more friendly and helpful. My pediatrician issues her cell phone number to patients and has been known to make house calls (though, thankfully, we haven't experienced that first-hand). I know almost all of my neighbors and get together with them often. Most of the stores are closed on Sunday, and life just seems to move at a slower pace. At the VBS open house, the snacks and ice cream were homemade, which just doesn't seem to happen in the city. And, on Sunday, not only did we accidentally leave the van unlocked and the keys in the ignition while we were in church, we actually left the thing running, and no one touched it. Nor would we worry that someone would if we were to have another brain dead moment at some point in the future. I'm so glad we have the opportunity to live and raise our kids in a place like this. It reminds me of my childhood, and it feels like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you need to say