Monday, December 14, 2009

The Day the Kids Ran the House

About the time I laid down for bed last night I thought to myself, "Hmm. My dinner doesn't really seem to be agreeing with me." About 1:30, it showed me just how much it didn't agree with me, and then proceeded to remind me every hour. And at some point I began to think that it wasn't just my dinner disagreeing with me, but the whole universe conspiring to kill me.

Now, as you know, full-time stay-at-home-moms aren't allowed to get sick. We don't have days for that. But add to that the fact that the timing of this couldn't have been worse--with my house in serious need of cleaning, my snacks in serious need of baking, my bags in serious need of packing and my errands in serious need of running, etc. And, add to that meetings for my hubby all over the state of Texas (but no where close to home).

I spent the first half of the day lying on the couch, trash can handy, wondering when death would finally take me, and occasionally wondering what would happen to my kids when it did. But then, all that was just too much to think about, so I closed my eyes and tried to block out the sounds of complete chaos and house destruction around me.

At noon, I forced myself to get up and get the kids some lunch, which just almost did me in. So, I spent the second half of the day lying in my bed pretty much repeating the first part of the day, but with one fewer child adding to the chaos, since Max was also napping.

By 4:00, I felt like death might actually pass me by, but I still wasn't sure if I would ever be the same. And, frankly, that's kind of where I still am. But, I'm hopeful that with a descent night's sleep and the benefit of actual nutrients in my body, obtained from a handful of dry cereal and a Sprite, that tomorrow will be a better day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you need to say