Thursday, October 09, 2008

Vocabulary Wall

In the course of her schoolwork, Ruth comes across words, from time to time, that she doesn't know--as you would expect a first grader to do. Jeff and I didn't want her to just skip over these words so we tried to think of some way that would make her want to really learn the new words. We really didn't have to spend many brain cycles on it, though, because as soon as she found out that hanging them on the wall was an option, she was completely on board. So, when she comes across a word that she doesn't know, in any subject, she writes it down on a card. Then, we look up the definition together and write it on the other side of the card. Then, I write an example sentence, using the word. We drill these like flashcards. When Ruth can say the definition and use the word in a sentence of her own, she gets to hang it on the wall. (This serves a dual purpose--one utilitarian, one decorative--since our walls have been pretty blank up until now).

Ruth now has 35 words on the wall, including, but not limited to the following:

*Portend
*Haggard
*Hideous
*Infuriate
*Diurnal
*Zygodactyl
*Utilitarian
*Considerable
*Lament
*Folly
*Alas
*Considerable

Having the words up on the wall makes Ruth more aware of them and encourages Jeff and I to use those words more often in conversation. Ruth loves to catch one of us using one of "her" words, and she is thrilled to no end to see them in print again in other reading assignments. Just another way the Watts Academy is making learning fun.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:40 AM

    Alas, after considerable struggle and much folly, I lament that I do not know what zygodactyl means. I am sure it is either quite utilitarian or hideous. In the meantime, I will sit here haggard and infuriated.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, you could totally compete in our Vocabulary Throwdown!

    Zygodactyl is a term used for some birds, like parrots, that have two claws facing forward and two claws facing backward, which makes it possible for them to grip things like nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the vocabulary lesson. I teach 4th grade writing and I must admit that I don't know what several of those words mean. I'll have to get out my dictionary and get back with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm curious to know what book your daughter has been reading that has zygodactyl in it!

    I think a word wall is a great idea. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. we have also been considering the word wall, but we're talking site words only. Those words are impressive to say the least...more info please on your homeschooling. Kathy - your comment rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah, "zygodactyl" was a word we came across in a science lesson on parrots.

    Wendi, I'd be happy to talk homeschool with you. Feel free to e-mail me: mandimwattsATgmailDOTcom
    We're learning a lot and having a blast.

    ReplyDelete

Say what you need to say