Friday, May 16, 2008

Ruthonomics

(A conversation between father and daughter).

Dad: Ruth, it won't be long before you're old enough to have a summer job. What kind of job do you think you'd like to have?

Ruth: Well, all the jobs I really want are only for grown-ups.

Dad: Why don't you tell me what kinds of jobs you'd really like to have.

Ruth: Well, I really want to be a Mommy.

Dad: Well, that is pretty much just a grown-up job, and it's going to be a long time before you can do that. What other things are you interested in?

Ruth: I think I'd like to make sugar scrubs.

Dad: Oh. That's definitely something you could do. When Mommy gets back to making her sugar scrubs, do you think you'd like to help her out?

Ruth: No. I think I'd just like to make my own. And I think I'll sell them for $1.99.

Dad: Well, that's a good price.

Ruth: What does that mean, anyway?

Dad: $1.99 means that it costs one dollar and ninety-nine cents, which is just almost $2. If you sold your scrubs for $2, and Mommy sold hers for $12, who would sell more?

Ruth: Well, I would because it would cost less money, so more people would buy them.

Dad: The only problem with selling them for that low price is that your supplies would cost more than you were selling them for so you wouldn't really make any money.

Ruth: Oh. Hmm. Well, I guess I could just buy the sugar with a credit card.

Ruth: No, that won't work, because I don't have a credit card.

Ruth: Oh, I know. I could save money by ordering my jars!

Ruth: And, I could order 12 jars.

Looks like the girl is well on her way to putting me out of business! I'll have to see if I can't convince her to be a partner instead of competition in the next few years!

1 comment:

  1. sounds like a good mother/daughter venture. She needs to leave the pricing to you, though ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Say what you need to say