Friday, September 21, 2012

Just 'cause we wouldn't want to leave anyone off the list...

The critter craziness continues. Tuesday evening, my neighbor reported that she had seen a "fairly large" rattlesnake slithering from the road into the heavily treed area at the front of our property. The mother of that baby Jeff killed, out for revenge, no doubt. Sweetly, my neighbor did try to run over it with her car, but it was just elusive enough to slip by her.

Yesterday, I swept up a (thankfully) dead centipede in my bathroom.

And this evening, Max reported that there was "a big, black thing out by the sand pile." My efforts to extract information were almost completely futile, but he was willing to take me outside so he could show me. This made me nervous in the the way it always does when one of the boys wants me to close my eyes and hold out my hands for a surprise. From Max's description, I had surmised that the creature I was about to encounter was a black, quarter-sized insect or spider that we "saw once at the ranch." What I found instead, was a house-sized (or possibly more like hand-sized) tarantula on the side of my house. I did not get close enough to confirm whether it was actually black or just a dark brown or gray. Just looking at it from ten feet away gave me the heebie-geebies!  I rushed back in the house, throwing instructions over my shoulder for Max to leave the thing alone and the cat to do its job and attack. That's when Max wondered aloud if he should stop trying to bash it (while it sat on the side of the house, very near a window) with a baseball bat, like he had been doing prior to coming in to get me, tying us right back in to yesterday's post.

If I survive this season of my life, it will be a miracle!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you need to say