Sunday, October 14, 2012

Why we can't have nice things

There is a very good reason why we can't have nice things. It's because we chose to have children. And, God, in His wisdom and humor, made three of those children boys. Curious, destructive (though, quite creative) boys. Probably to teach us how little having nice things matters, or some other equally important lesson we haven't gotten through our thick heads yet.

Question:
Do you know what this device is used for?


If you said "peeling potatoes," you are not really thinking outside the box. At our house today, one of these was used to, not only strip the stain off the drawer fronts on one side of the island, but also large chunks of wood, which curled neatly to the floor in nice little piles, resulting in something slightly more horrifying than this, when taken in all at once:


Never fear, the child who did this is still alive, thanks to some quick work by his father to send his mother (namely, me) out of the house for a couple of hours. 

I'm counting on that forgiving memory to soften this blow for me over time, but I wanted it preserved here so that this child can look back one day and be thankful he ever made it to adulthood. 





5 comments:

  1. Oh wow.
    That cupboard matches the sharpie on my tooled-leather couch cushions.
    Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moms of boys unite! Sorry about your couch cushions, Katie. I am told we will look back on these things fondly once our kids are grown and out of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is exactly the reason I still have the couch that once belonged to your in-laws and then Granny Wanda. I'm not going to replace it until the boys are in college. Glad the child is still alive! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:50 PM

    oh gosh that reminds me of stuff that I was told that Maxie would get into---guess it is genetic--anyway if I were you I would just blame it on the other side of the family. (ask your father-in-law who drove the go cart under Granny and Grandpa's car and who pushed a ball of clay in his cousin Pee Wee's ear during church, which required a trip to the doc to remove)LOL Linda Sue

    ReplyDelete

Say what you need to say