Monday, November 15, 2010

Boys

Being raised by a single-mom and having only a sister did not prepare me for the ways of boys. So, I'm getting my boy-training now. And I can tell you, the wiring is really different. There is a crazy obsession with bodily functions and parts. And critters. My boys capture new "pets" everyday, and today, I heard Max say he had caterpillar juice on his hand! Pockets are a prerequisite for dressing. And, not only are our jeans "stone-washed," but most of our other laundry is as well. Because all these little pockets hold a myriad of gravelly treasures. Hitting is a form of affection. And apparently, dropping something on a hard surface to see if it will break is a form of admiration. Boys don't get off of a piece of furniture; they jump off. Or roll off. Or slither. Or bounce. Sound effects are built in. Boys come preprogrammed with truck sounds, monster sounds, all the animal sounds (extinct, living and as yet undiscovered), train sounds, gun sounds, and tons of others sounds--some of which are not identifiable except by boys under a certain age. All are loud. Things are taken apart just to see if they can be put back together. And gravity is defied on a regular basis. It is certainly a different world than the one I grew up in, but it definitely keeps a mom on her toes. And I have to say, if you've never received a monster kiss or hug, you are missing out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you need to say