Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Awaysick



away•sick
adjective
experiencing a deep longing to go away after a period of being in one place; the opposite of homesick: 
The boy began planning road trips, claiming to be awaysick.


Last week, Weston was studying native tribes around the world during his History class. It was a topic that captured his attention and made him want to learn more. So, he checked out some books from the library, and every day he would report on the interesting things he was learning, half-fascinated, half-horrified: Mom, listen to this: this tribe would skin their enemies and wear the skins as a covering for their own bodies. 

He was also eager to know where the tribes had been located and curious about any remnants left behind that visitors might be able to see. Mom, how long do you think it would take to drive to Ohio? Do you think we could go for a weekend, so we can see this burial ground shaped like a snake? Could we try to plan a trip to South America, sometime after football season, so we can visit these particular sites?

His enthusiasm was contagious, and one day I told him that I really liked all the road trips he was planning to go along with his History lessons. His response stopped me in my tracks: I'm just really awaysick. You know, the opposite of homesick. 

This boy, who has so often struggled to put words together in coherent ways, managed to wordsmith a word that expressed the very depth of his heart...and mine. 

We stared at each other for a moment with tears brimming in our eyes and then went about our day, because there was nothing else to do. But, that word keeps echoing in my heart. I think it's the truest word I have ever heard. 

I'm not going to lie, our adjustment back to "normal" life has been difficult for me. Waking up in the same house and bed day after day and going through the same routines wears on me. During our travels, the longest we ever stayed in one place was one month. We were always encountering new things and situations, and even laundry stayed just challenging enough to be interesting. I admit, I feel ready to move on, even though I know this is a season for being rooted. I know people who really love to be home and only want to go on the occasional vacation. I think that's awesome. But, for me, the awaysickness is real. 

My question for those of you who don't revel in the routines of life and who may have similar nomadic tendencies is this:  What do you do to combat the mundanity and soothe the awaysickness when leaving isn't an option? I am eager to learn your secrets and will take your suggestions to heart. 

4 comments:

  1. I experience both, awaysickness and homesickness. I love to travel, and I love to come home. The way I combat that in this season is to make sure I've always got at least one "trip" on my calendar, and in a pinch, having a visitor from out of town really helps break up the sameness of every day. Whether it's a getaway for a weekend, or a longer trip, those give me a lot to look forward to. Another way I handle it is by being involved in the missions ministry at our church. I get to hear more about what our missionaries are doing, get an inside scoop on their lives, and get more opportunities to meet and visit with them on an ongoing basis. I guess that is living vicariously, but it helps a little, plus I love getting to know them. We sold our travel trailer, which was a built in excuse to go somewhere, but we are trying to eke out as many adventures as we can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good advice. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  2. I try to figure out how I can bless my family and my world right where I am. If it's the grocery store, the school, the house, etc, I try to be present to the needs surrounding me, because there are always needs. Then I try to find interesting projects. I read missionary accounts to get that spice in. I look forward to the trips I have planned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing. These are definitely good ways to combat the "awaysickness."

      Delete

Say what you need to say