Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Zambia and Zimbabwe

For the story that goes with the pictures, you can check out my previous post.

Nena's Guest House in Livingstone, Zambia

The baboons are a ridiculous nuisance at the border checkpoint,
but they kept the little boys entertained while our paperwork was processed,
and moms with babies are always sweet.

Crossing the bridge from Zambia to Zimbabwe with (almost) everything we own!

Our lodge at the Victoria Falls Rest Camp

Clay worked and worked on lining up all the "hot dogs" (seed pods) at the campground

Sunset Cruise on the Zambezi River

This fourteen-foot-long bad boy was hanging out on the bank of the river.

Hungry, Hungry Hippo
(We learned that they mostly eat grass on the land after the sun goes down,
and they just hang out in the water during the day to protect their skin.)

We saw a whole herd of mamas and babies on one of the islands in the river.
They are excellent swimmers and swim out to the islands to munch on the grass.
I love all the African animals, but these are my favorites!

Sunset on the Zambezi

Clay has been looking forward to seeing the statue of David Livingstone for weeks!

For twenty years, I have wanted to be in this place with this man! What a dream come true!

My favorite people in one of my favorite places in the world

This is the bridge we crossed over between the two countries (from Zimbabwe, looking toward Zambia).
We stood here for the longest time, as we watched person after crazy person bungee jump off.

The kids thoroughly enjoyed seeing all the monkeys in the Victoria Falls National Park.

There was a little herd of warthogs in the park, which were not shy about being around the visitors.
These are Weston's favorites, and he was thrilled.

Clay's warthog face

Mosi-Oa-Tunya
(The Smoke that Thunders)





2 comments:

  1. Ok, I get nervous when you don't post for a few days so I'm glad you explained the internet situation! LOL! Also a few things I've been wondering about......When you run out of toothpaste, deodorant, etc., do you just buy something local??? And what about running out of your essential oils. Also, who is getting your mail? And has anyone gotten sick from eating all the different foods? All things a nosey cousin needs to know!!!! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chey-Anne, thanks for your questions and curiosity! I truly enjoy answering those kinds of questions, so don't ever hesitate to ask about things you're wondering about about our trip. When we run out of toiletries, we do buy local stuff, which is usually very similar to what is sold in the States, but it's more fun, because I have things in my toiletry bag with labels in a dozen languages. :) (I never have been loyal to particular products, even before we were traveling, because I really enjoy trying lots of new and different things, so this doesn't seem like a hardship.) I have not run out of any essential oils yet, but I will probably be sad when I do, and depending on what I run out of and when, I may ask my family to send me some or bring me some when they visit. I use them a bit more sparingly while we're traveling, to make them last longer. The main ones we've used are DigestZen for a few little tummy upsets, Ginger in the USB diffuser to combat car sickness, Deep Blue for a serious stiff neck and Past Tense for headaches. Thankfully, we have mostly been healthy and haven't had anything too crazy come up. As for our mail, we are using a service called Scan Mailboxes, that allows us to receive all of our mail electronically. It is really fantastic, and we wish we would have been using it all along to eliminate the ridiculous piles of paper that are always around when you are collecting mail the traditional way. Keep the questions coming! :)

    ReplyDelete

Say what you need to say