Tuesday, May 21, 2013

From Pre-Med to Peppermint Oil

Life is funny. It has a way of changing people. Sometimes big changes, all at once, and, sometimes, gradual changes we don't even recognize until we look back. I began my adult life with a very specific focus and determination to go to medical school and become a doctor. I graduated with a decent GPA, from a decent university, with a pre-med degree. But Life was working, even then, to change me. In those early years, I believed in modern medicine wholeheartedly. I decided not to go to medical school for a variety of reasons, but it wasn't that I stopped believing in the marvels of modern medicine.

Around the time I started having babies, I remember thinking, "Women have been doing this for thousands of years, without the aid of doctors or machinery or hospitals or epidurals. What's the big deal?" I even told the doctor that delivered Weston that all I really needed was a catcher. My first three babies were delivered in hospitals by doctors, because we had big, fat, corporate insurance, and it just seemed easiest to pick an in-network doctor and go with that. But, even then, I didn't feel it was necessary to have a doctor present. I just knew that Jeff probably wasn't up for playing catcher, so we needed someone else in the room. I didn't have an epidural or any medication. I just did what my body knew to do. (Max was a little bit of a challenge, as he decided to come out like Superman and got himself stuck. It wasn't quite as straightforward as the other deliveries, and I was thankful to have some extra, knowledgeable help to get him out and to help him through the next few days as he recovered from the experience).

When the corporate insurance went away, we took a longer, deeper look at the role of modern medicine in our lives, and we decided most of it wasn't necessary. Originally, we were motivated almost solely by money and convenience. We started using homemade cough remedies for kids who seemed to be too young for all the over-the-counter stuff. And, we experimented with using hydrogen peroxide to treat ear infections. And, it worked--sometimes on about the same time frame as medicine and sometimes quicker. And, when it came time to have our fourth child, we chose to have a midwife deliver him at a birthing center. The cost to deliver there was significantly lower than to deliver at the hospital. But, money aside, I can tell you now that I wish I would have chosen that route with all my babies. No one bothered me. Or hooked me up to a million instruments. Or told me what to do. Or tried to pump me full of drugs. When I was ready, I just told the midwife, and she stood beside the bed to play catcher. Then, we went home later that day, and it all just felt so much more natural and comfortable.

I find that the more years I get under my belt, the less I depend on, and even trust, modern medicine and the more I look for alternatives to keep my family healthy. Now, granted, we are generally a pretty healthy bunch. Thankfully, we aren't dealing with any major illnesses or chronic conditions. And, I'm not saying modern medicine isn't useful. I was very glad to have a skilled doctor sew up Max's chin a few months ago and one to staple my head closed last summer. And, I'm thankful for all the modern medicine involved in helping my dad when he had his heart attack a month ago. Certainly, it has it's place. But, I no longer believe in it like I used to, especially for non-serious medical problems.

Recently, as we've had little problems come up, I've been researching and trying more and more home remedies. I have been taking Evening Primrose Oil (in caplet form) for hormonal acne and have seen major improvements. I was introduced to Peppermint Oil as a way to treat headaches and have been amazed at how well it has worked. I have also used Vitamin E Oil to treat ingrown toenails on myself and plantar warts on the kids and have seen wonderful results.

It's funny to me now that I once wanted to be a doctor of modern medicine and that I once believed in that system so wholeheartedly. That's not at all who I am anymore. Life has changed me. Of course, I recognize that many readers will not agree, and that is perfectly fine with me. I am not trying to persuade anyone to change the way they think. I just wanted to express my amusement in the fact that Life changes us in spite of ourselves. I am learning to embrace and appreciate change as it comes, and I respect that Life will not take any two people down the exact same path. This is one way in which Life has changed me. How has it changed you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you need to say