Monday, June 11, 2012

Work Week


We spent a wonderful long weekend out at our camp in the Davis Mountains. Officially, it was "work week," but, personally, I didn't do too much work. (Except for that one day that I went in to Ft. Davis for a couple of hours to use the library's wifi to prepare for a meeting I have later today). I also helped a bit with cooking and cleaning up, but, really, I didn't do much of anything. Jeff was in charge of the food for the 20 or so people who were out there, and let me tell you, if you think you need a fancy kitchen to turn out gourmet meals, you are sorely mistaken. That man can flat cook! He impressed the whole crowd and insured that he never has to swing a hammer at work week again! (Which may have been his aim all along).

Aside from eating like a glutton, the big kids and I also learned how to play Mah Jong (the board game). I say we "learned," but really we just began learning. There is still so much I don't know. But, man, did we have a good time! We will definitely think about investing in our own board so we can play at home.

We took the kids in to Ft. Davis on Saturday for ice cream at the drug store. That never ceases to be a thrill. And when we got back out to the campground, the kids discovered a whole other level of fun: climbing up on the dumpsters. Do we know how to have fun or what?!

And on Saturday night, as we sat on our deck, looking at the billions of stars (which we don't seem to have in this part of the world), we saw two HUGE shooting stars. I don't know what they really were, but they lit up the whole sky and were amazing.

We did a little work, had a lot of fun and got very dirty. It doesn't get much better than that!

"What was your favorite thing about Work Week, boys?"
"Definitely climbing on the dumpsters!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you need to say