Sunday, September 25, 2011

Out and About

Outing #1

On Wednesday, our CC group had a two-part field trip. The first part was to H*E*B. And when I told the kids that's where we were going, they commented, "H*E*B?! Really?! We always go there, so how is that a field trip?" I think they were pleasantly surprised. We toured the store with some of the staff, and we got to pet a lobster, check out some of the more interesting items in the meat case (chicken feet, anyone?) and receive some goodies at the end of the tour. Plus, we received some good reminders about nutrition and hygiene.

As the only kid who had ever actually tasted (and loved) cow's tongue,
Weston couldn't really see what all the hubbub was about
The beautiful H*E*B princess
Cheesin' it up!

The second part of our field trip was to the Pogue Sculpture Gallery and Foundry. It was really impressive to see this local artist's studio and to have his apprentices walk us through the process of bronze sculpture making. It was absolutely fascinating--for kids and adults alike!

Everyone's favorite--the clay horse model 
Finished zebra sculpture
(You can see the model for this below the horse's front hooves)

Outing #2

Thomas the Tank Engine was in Burnet today, so we met up with grandparents for lunch and then made our way over to say hello. The crowd wasn't nearly as large as it was last year, so the kids got to do more of the things without waiting in lines. Max especially had a good time.

Thomas the Tank Engine 
Max is happy to see Sir Topham Hatt

Posing with Toppin Hat (as Max likes to call him)

All the boys are ready to ride

My lovely seat mate

Working in a game of golf

One of Max's other passions: climbing

All the way to the top!

Time to climb

4 comments:

  1. I love the zebra sculpture. Pretty cute. Looks like you all had great fun. Let me know if you ever hear of Thomas coming back to Texas. I know two little boys who would LOVE to go see him. I wish I would have known, we would have met you there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Crystal, I wish I would have thought to let you know about Thomas. We would have loved to have had you guys come visit and join us for the fun. I don't think there are any more Thomas events in TX this year, but here's a link to the website with the official schedule: http://www.thomasstation.com/dowt/index.html

    There are also regular (non-Thomas) train rides from Cedar Park to Burnet pretty often, I think. http://www.austinsteamtrain.org/

    ReplyDelete
  3. whoa , Ruth has braces!! Where does the time go?!

    Thanks for sharing about the gallery, looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, Melanie! The braces make her seem so grown up! I will admit to shedding a tear or two the day she had them put on.

    ReplyDelete

Say what you need to say