Tuesday, September 01, 2009

First day of preschool

You might expect the first day of preschool to be filled with anxiety, nervousness, clinging and tears. Here's what you might NOT expect:

[Van door opens upon arrival at preschool]

Weston (immediately): O.k. well, bye.

Mom: Weston, you don't have to say bye yet. I'm going to walk you inside.

Weston: Well, you HAVE to go home. You can't stay.

Mom: I know, but I'm going to walk you to your class.

Weston: O.k. well, bye. (repeated no less than four more times before arriving at the entrance to the building).

[Putting backpack and lunchbox on pegs outside the room]

Weston (looking around anxiously): Do I have to leave my lunch out here?

Mom: Yes. Just hang it on your peg.

Weston: But when is lunchtime?

Mom: I'm not sure, but your teacher will let you know when it's time to get your lunch.

Weston: But I can't take it in?!

So, we did have anxiety, I guess. And a certain amount of clinging. But, hey, lunch is really important. He had a great day. And, honestly, I prefer it this way. Without all the drama.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you need to say