Monday, August 24, 2009

Prior planning prevents poor performance

Weston became interested in learning to read this morning. He came to me with a book in his hand and asked if I could teach him to read. Of course, I said I would. I then told him that the book he had picked might be a little hard to start with and suggested some that had just a few words on each page. He picked out three such books and immediately laid out his plan. He told me one would be for morning time, one for noon time and one for evening time. Then he proceeded to ask when was morning time. I told him it was now, so he promptly sat me down and told me which book was for morning time. We worked through the title together and then tried sounding out several of the words in the book. He loved it. He then carried all three of his books around with him for the rest of the morning, periodically asking when was noon time and explaining to anyone who asked, what his plan was. Around 11:30 he asked again, and I told him it was pretty close to noon and we could read then if he wanted. But, he was determined to wait until it actually was noon. So, we read the second book in much the same way as we read the first. Again, he carried the books around with him for the remainder of the afternoon, asking from time to time when evening time would be. We read his last book right after dinner. And then he carefully gathered them up to take upstairs with him so they would be ready to read again (in the same order) tomorrow. What can I say, he's a man with a plan. He was so proud of himself, of his plan and of his teacher. And I'm so proud of him.

3 comments:

  1. A planner! Yeah! I love a good plan. It's probably my type A personality. Love you title, great alliteration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your instead of you...how's that for type A??? It is 5:37 am, does that count for misspellings?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Misspellings are definitely allowed that early in the morning! I don't even like to think there is a that-early-in-the-morning!

    The title is one of those catchy sayings we had in school or student coucil or something like that. You were always supposed to "remeber the 5 Ps."

    ReplyDelete

Say what you need to say