Saturday, July 25, 2009

Kids out to eat

The restaurant we dined at tonight had a "children's section." Any one who came in with a kid under about the age of 12 was seated there. And, I think this is a great idea. I'm surprised more places don't do something like that. But, I'm very proud to report that, even though our group is occasionally messy and loud, Jeff and I have never hesitated to take our kids out in public. They know it is a privilege to get to go out, and they know how to behave. (And it's not because we just got lucky with good kids). And, usually, they do a fantastic job. Last night was a great example. (I know, out two nights in a row). Jeff and the kids arrived at the restaurant 20 or 30 minutes before I did, due to some unexpected road construction. I'm told the kids were pleasant the whole time. After I arrived, and while we were waiting on our food, a lady from another table approached us to tell us "these are the best-behaved kids I have ever seen at a restaurant." She had also drawn a picture of each child, which she presented to us as a gift. Jeff and I swelled with pride, and the children were all very pleased with themselves as well. We were quick to tell the kids how proud we were of them, and to point out that times like this make us want to take them out more often. Don't get me wrong, we've had our share of having to get up and leave the restaurant in the middle of the meal, usually completely mortified. But, overall, it is fun for us to take our kids out. And it's especially fun when others notice their good behavior and encourage them to keep it up through positive reinforcement.

2 comments:

  1. what a compliment to your family! our kids are pretty good too, although we've never gotten such neat pictures before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are a blessing ! Praise The Lord, and congratulations to parents !

    I had no problem with them here in Brasil.

    love this lovely family,

    ReplyDelete

Say what you need to say