Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Turning Over a New Leaf

I'm not a morning person. I don't like to get out of my nice, warm, cozy bed. And, I despise the sound of an alarm going off. But, I also really don't like feeling like I don't have any time to myself during the day. So, I'm turning over a new leaf. My plan is to start getting up earlier and trying to make the most of the hour or two I have before the children wake up. Actually, I thought I would institute this plan on Monday. Unfortunately, my radio alarm was set to a non-station. Yesterday, I just about beat the thing to death, trying to hit the snooze button. And didn't even succeed in hitting snooze. Rather, I ended up turning it completely off---and sleeping on. Today, I set two alarms. The regular one (set to a nice, local, country station) and the cell phone (placed strategically in the bathroom, out of arm's reach and harm's way). Finally, success! I woke up to the regular alarm, even, and didn't destroy it in the process. I then stumbled into the bathroom to turn off the other alarm before it began it's annoying wake-up call. Then, peeking through half an eye and walking with robotic stiffness, I made my way to the shower, my morning savior. Hot water pouring over me like a waterfall always magically clears my sleep-muddled brain and loosens my prematurely old joints. And, suddenly, I realized that I had just taken a giant step towards my new goal! With that inspiration tucked neatly under the towel twisted atop my head, I donned my tennis shoes and set out for a brisk walk through my portion of the Livable Forest. And, I must tell you, it was amazing! It was quiet. And beautiful. I was able to pray and think and just breath deeply. I was all the more encouraged to find a still-quiet home when I returned. And, I pocketed a few more moments in which to drink a glass of water, visit with Jeff, change clothes and read the Bible--all before anyone demanded a thing from me. It was glorious! This isn't the first time I've set this goal, and experience tells me I probably won't ever become a morning person, but on a day like today I at least want to try a little harder not to murder the alarm clock when it delivers its rude awakening.

4 comments:

  1. That's great, glad you are able to have a few moments to your self. I get up at 5 every morning, just to get the laundry and dishes done without my babies crying and needing me. It's also my blog time, because when they are awake...I want to be with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are killing me. Please no accountability! I can't handle it! The pressure.

    I SO NEED to do this. BUt my body says nooooooooo. Crystal, you are amazing. Mandi, I'm right there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm proud of you for taking that step. I know it's hard. I AM a morning person and it's still hard for me to get up before the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, you must take time for yourself or you will have nothing left to give. Of course, I need to practice what I preach. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete

Say what you need to say