Friday, May 15, 2009

Inside, Outside, Upside Down

When I woke up this morning I felt different. I felt rested and refreshed and ready to start my day. I wasn't stiff or sore in my hands or feet, and I easily climbed out of bed and got moving. On my walk, I came across a bunny who couldn't be bothered to take more than two hops away from me. I also saw two turtles sitting right beside the path, and I briefly comtemplated bringing one home.

When I got back to the house, my three-year-old was up (not bizarre) and was seated at the table with breakfast he had gotten all by himself (bizarre), without making even the slightest mess in the kitchen (very, very bizarre).

I offered to play a game with the kids this morning after Ruth finished her school work, and Ruth declined. Weston, however, played enthusiastically...twice. Without losing focus or interest. And, Max occupied himself happily during the course of the two games.

Jeff stopped in the middle of his work day to fire up the grill and make us a fabulous, somewhat gourmet lunch.

While out running errands this afternoon, I stopped at Sonic for my Vanilla Diet Dr. Pepper fix and was stunned to find regular ice in my cup instead of the famous Sonic Ice.

The line at the post office moved quickly, and Max wasn't a bit fussy while we were there.

I found books at the library on the subjects I was looking for, without assistance and without Max ripping books off the shelves like some major award was at stake.

Then, at the grocery store, on my way to check-out, I was overcome by a need for some of the fresh brewed coffee they had out to sample. I simply could not walk away. I had to have it.

That's when it really hit me that today was no ordinary day. I somehow woke up in an alter universe or something. Nothing was quite as it had been. I don't quite know how I got here, and I don't have any idea what will happen tomorrow. I just feel so disconnected with reality and discombobulated, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you need to say