Thursday, September 04, 2008

On My Own

Well, it has taken me right at two months, but I have finally ventured out on my own. Jeff has a much better command of Portuguese than I do. But that aside, he has approached the lanuguage as he does all things--with utter and complete confidence. So, whether he actually knows more or just isn't as afraid to use what he does know is up for debate. The point is, I have been relying heavily on him when leaving the apartment so that he can do the talking/listening when and if it becomes necessary. This week, though, I have gone shopping twice on my own, and today I even went to pay a bill. (This is another special aspect of Brazilian culture: bills must be paid in person, in cash. It's fantastically inconvenient, on so many levels). It seems like a silly thing, I guess, but I'm really proud of myself. I feel like I am finally becoming more confident with using the language. And what freedom there is in that!

2 comments:

  1. It's a HUGE deal, Mandi! Way to go! Now it will get easier and easier... just go for it.

    ReplyDelete

Say what you need to say