Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Avocado Dilemma

I don't feel like I would be out of line in saying that most Texans really like guacamole. Most of us were raised on the stuff and would eat it on almost anything. (Notice, I said "most." I know there are a few who won't eat it no matter what). We like it with tomatoes and without. With cilantro and without. Plopped in our queso. Piled on our enchiladas. On our eggs in the morning. On our hamburgers in the afternoon. On chip after chip after chip. And even just eaten off a spoon. It is one of the first table foods I have served all of my children. And, it's just plain yummy!

So, here in Brazil, they've got avocados. Huge avocados. In abundance. But the only way they ever serve them is blended up like a milkshake, with lots of sugar added. This isn't bad, I guess, but it's NOT guacamole! Jeff and I (in our sercret fatalistic plan to revolutionize Brazil) have tried to teach our friends the "real" way to enjoy these fabulous fruits, but they aren't having any part of it. Most of them won't even consider trying it when they find out what it is. And, there is no such thing as a tortilla here, much less a tortilla chip, so finding an appropriate substrate for handing out samples is a bit of a challenge.

But, we will not be deterred. If the Brazilians will not embrace this green goodness, then we will make it for ourselves, in the privacy of our own apartment. And we might even stage our own private revolution by topping our Brazilian black beans with a dollop or two just for spite.

6 comments:

  1. oh yes, I have to say they are absolutely insane! I love avocado! I enjoy looked into trying to plant one of the trees here. Good luck on your quest. Though I must say I might try the Brazilian way now too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:35 PM

    Oh that is so funny. We made a fajita dinner one night for our friends and the primary reason was to force the guacamole issue. Had to introduce it to them in something besides avocado ice cream. It went over like a ton of bricks.

    We were able to get tortillas though from a mexican cafe in town, but had to special order them and pick them up between 1:30 and 1:45 or something silly like that.

    I think it is so funny that we are having similar experiences. I will say that we didn't deal with laundry because the family we stayed with had a maid. Now THAT was NICE...Did you know that some people just have their clothes show up washed and ironed? Underwear too!

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Lori. Thanks for chiming in. And thanks for the tip on tortillas. We'll have to check into that.

    We are actually considering becoming some of *those* people who just have their laundry show up clean and ironed. Right now it is only my pride standing in the way. But, Jeff may force the issue if he has to put up with my stress level on laundry day too much longer. Most people (in this area, anyway) have maids--so much so that all apartments have a little maid's quarters. We are using that room in our apartment for Ruth and Weston's bedroom. I just can't see hiring a maid for 600 sq. ft.-- though I don't pretend to keep it anywhere close to clean enough for Brazilian standards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like some avocados. Too bad they don't know a great way to eat them! Oh, and I cannot imagine being in charge of 5 people's laundry and only having special days to do it.

    How clean is Brazilian standards? Cause I bet I have a ways to go...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's just say that Brazilians are OBSESSIVE about cleanliness! That's ALL they do. Really, it's a subject that would require a whole post of it's own...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:45 PM

    OH GOODNESS MANDI...do the maid thing. Your life in Brazil will be so much more rewarding. Our friends were there as missionaries and they looked at is as a ministry to the gal they hired, a way to help her family financially and a way to give them extra time for their work there.

    And I totally get the Brazilian cleanliness thing. I mean that gal mopped the floor twice a day. Gotta do something with only 600 sqft. You do live on the ocean. Lots of salt and sand...DO IT!

    Lori

    ReplyDelete

Say what you need to say