Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Como se diz...?*

They do not teach you everything you need to know in Portuguese classes. Here are some of the questions/situations we have had to navigate since we've been here:
  • My son had an accident and I need new sheets for the bed.
  • Our sink is stopped up. Can you help us?
  • I need the key for the washer/dryer.
  • Will this cell phone work internationally?
  • Where can I recharge the credits on my prepaid cell phone?
  • Is the grocery store open on Sunday?
  • Where is the nearest grocery store?
  • No, my baby is not cold. In fact, he is sweating.
  • Etc. etc.
Living in a country where you don't speak the language is not for the faint of heart. It is sometimes very frustrating, but also pretty exciting when you are actually able to communicate. These were some of the successful conversations. I won't even bother with the ones that went nowhere.

*That's "how do you say...?"

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I can see how you would need to know how to ask those things! Sounds like you are getting quite a neat experience.

    We miss you.

    ReplyDelete

Say what you need to say