Monday, June 19, 2006

What's Up, Doc?

Anyone out there ever been to the doctor and felt as if the doctor (or in this case the PA) already knew exactly what they were going to say to you before they ever even walked in the door and heard your description of the symptoms? It happened to me today, and it really burned me up. I did not feel like this woman really listened to me at all, nor did she seem too concerned with asking me questions that might be helpful in making a diagnosis. Consequently I didn't feel like she gave me very good advice. Then, I felt like she ordered some tests just to make me feel like she was doing something and just so she could get me out of her hair. I am now in the market for a new primary care physician. I am never sick and I am not a hypochondriac, so when I go to the doctor I expect to have someone really listen to me, and after carefully assessing the situation, to tell me the best way to proceed. And here's a big newflash: I am not an idiot. I know that arthitis affects the joints, and I even know where the joints in my hand are. But I also know that "tendonitis" of my right hand would not be causing me to have pain in my ankles when I wake up in the morning. Thank you very much!

3 comments:

  1. I hate that sort of thing. I appreciate doctors who want to hear your side of it too.

    We use Dr John Bangston at Seton Northwest. He's pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the PA has a little power trip going on. Did you tell the doctor? If not, you should call him/her privately and tell him/her. The PA is an employee and you are the client. It's all a relationship and if your doc loses patients, he/she needs to understand why.

    Sadly, I don't have a GP, I've only used my Ob-gyn to monitor everything. Though, I'm at that age where I need to start physicals . . .

    Trey uses Dr. Hutchens at Texas Sports & Family medicine, 3200 Red River Ste 201, phone: 473-0201, web: www.tsfm.cc Dr. Hutchens rec'd his undergrad at A&M :-) There's a female partner, Dr. McCarty, also and she also rec'd undergrad from A&M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info ladies. The other catch is that I need to find someone in-network for our insurance. The good news is the X-rays showed no signs of arthritis.

    ReplyDelete

Say what you need to say